Here are four signs your home or business might face a mold infestation Mold can cause various symptoms that can put your life at risk if not treated and attacked professionally.
Broken pipes, flooding, and overall, any place where water might have been present represents a suitable space for mold to grow, also during fall and wintertime, when humidity levels are higher. Mold can grow in indoor and outdoor environments. It can grow on almost every surface you can think of: fabric, paper, wood, plastic… even glass! If you think of any surface of your home or building, that is a place where mold can grow and cause damage.
Now, you’ve probably heard of or seen mold in food. It’s the greatest reference to identify the fact that it is decomposing. Take, for instance: a piece of bread. After a few days out of the fridge or kitchen cabinet, you can see those green and yellow spots. Easily visible and detectable, you are certain that you cannot eat that bread.
Mold in houses and other living spaces is more difficult to detect. You probably won’t know that you have a mold infection unless you see spots, black rings, or discoloration around the surface affected.
Stains on walls and home structures
Mold spores can grow in spaces where water has been around. Water damage and mold usually go together, and they can cause severe structural damage to buildings. Any place in the presence of moisture is a place where mold can grow.
Mold stains can have many appearances, going from small dots or discoloration on the surface where they’re growing to medium and large spots and black rings in various colors. You should always turn to a professional when it comes to mold detection. Bio-One specializes in mold infestation cleanup, using top-quality and safety equipment to ensure a disinfected area for you and your loved ones.
That strange smell inside the property
If you have been using a lot of air fresheners or scent candles recently, your house or the business property might face a mold infection. It’s usually a musty smell… like a smelly pair of wet socks or clothing.
The growth and dissemination of fungi in water-damaged buildings result in the production of certain toxins that may be responsible for many negative health effects on human beings. Certain mold species can produce a class of compounds known as mycotoxins. It’s a group of metabolic byproducts produced by several types of mold growing in organic and humid, damp environments.
While several factors influence mold growth and dissemination (moisture, lighting, and temperature) of mold, it’s clear that being in the presence of these environments can result in several adverse health effects, such as chronic coughing, immune deficiency, and other pathologies.
If you feel better outside the property, you spend the most time on (home, work, other places) and tend to feel sick while at it, you have to evaluate the possibility of having a mold infestation.
If you’re suffering from strong allergies, asthma, and even conjunctivitis
Many people suffer from allergies, and it’s difficult enough to endure it while also suffering from other pathologies related to the respiratory system.
Asthma and mold are a terrible combination for the health of minors. A study conducted by the Annals of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology found that when a newborn (less than a year old) is exposed to mold, chances are likely that the child will suffer from asthma by the time he or she is seven years old and forward.
Mold can irritate the eyes and develop eye infections like keratitis and conjunctivitis. If you have never suffered from allergies or asthma before, it’s another reason to search for mold in your property and have a specialized team like Bio-One remediate it!
Feeling exhausted? Suffering from pain in your muscles and noticing weird rashes on your skin?
The presence of mold inside your property can lead to many illnesses and infections. For example, black mold can create a disease in humans called Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome, also called CIRS, and very popularly known as “mold illness”. It’s difficult to diagnose because you wouldn’t think of a mold infection being related to your health, but it is!
Also, noticing weird rashes on your skin is usually a sign of a mold infestation. Please avoid scratching at all costs! Exposing skin increases the risk of getting more infections. Bio-One uses the best equipment to treat areas infested with mold, guaranteeing a safe environment.
The most common types of “toxic mold” and its health repercussions
It has been generally recognized in environmental health and industrial hygiene fields that the predominance of toxigenic mold in water-damaged buildings is consistently associated with occupant health complaints. According to BioTerra, six types of toxic mold can lurk in indoor spaces:
- Stachybotrys: Also known as “black mold”, this is one of the most dangerous types of mold because it can cause severe respiratory damage. Headaches, diarrhea, and flu-like symptoms are common diseases associated with this type of mold.
- Chaetomium: Usually associated with water-damaged buildings, this type of mold can grow on almost any type of surface (drywall, wallpaper, baseboards) and has similar characteristics as the “black mold” or Stachybotrys in terms of respiratory damage. It can also cause severe allergies.
- Aspergillus: This is a very common type of mold, and while it’s present in the air, it can be a threat to people with illnesses related to the immune system. It can cause aspergillosis, a strong and dangerous lung infection.
- Penicillium: Although it’s common and can be found in the air, this mold can be very toxic if it’s growing indoors.
- Fusarium: It’s common in plant debris and soil, but indoor environments can be found in damp areas, like bathrooms, around air conditioning systems, etc. It has been associated with eye and mucous infections.
- Alternaria: It’s another type of mold that can disseminate in indoor environments, affecting almost any type of surface (drywall, electrical installations, cardboard, etc.) It’s commonly associated with allergies and other immune system complications.
Don’t hesitate to visit your doctor if you feel any of the symptoms we’ve listed above. If your house or business needs mold disinfection, let Bio-One take care of you. We offer top-quality mold disinfection services. We will evaluate the level of contamination and provide you with the best solution for you and your loved ones.
How Bio-One can help with mold infestation
From a structural standpoint, mold can cause severe damage to your house or business property. Something that characterizes mold is the fact that it can digest the material it’s growing on, so it’s important to consider fixing any mold infection as soon as you notice it. From a health standpoint, it’s about preserving your life and the lives of the people around you.
Independently Owned & Operated!
Bio-One of Oceanside is the #1 Disinfection, Sanitation, and Decontamination Company in North San Diego County, providing professional, industry standards services in all kinds of extreme scenarios:
- Crime scene cleanup services
- Trauma scene cleaning services
- Blood and biohazard cleaning services
- Undiscovered or unattended death cleaning services
- Homicide/Suicide cleaning services
- Feces and bodily fluids cleaning services
- Mold remediation services
- Water damage restoration services
- Emergency vehicle decontamination services
- Fentanyl cleanup services
- Medical waste disposal services
- Tear gas cleaning services
- Sewage backup cleaning services
Hoarding cleanup services
- Hoarding cleanup
- Animal hoarding cleanup
- Gross filth cleanup
- Deep clean
- Junk removal
- Homeless encampment clean-out
- Hazardous waste disposal
- Nicotine stain/odor removal
- Odor removal
HELP FIRST, BUSINESS SECOND!
Bio-One of Oceanside springs into action to assist survivors when a traumatic event occurs. We work with local law enforcement, emergency responders, victim advocacy organizations, hoarding task forces, apartment communities, and insurance companies to ensure that you receive the greatest service feasible.
We are proudly serving North San Diego and surrounding communities!
Bio-One is a proud member of the Southern California Rental Housing Association and Carlsbad, Oceanside, and Vista Chambers of Commerce. Bio-One serves all of San Diego County and neighboring regions, including Oceanside, Carlsbad, Vista, Fallbrook, Escondido, San Marcos, and Bonsall.
We also serve the Southern Orange County cities: San Clemente, Dana Point, Rancho Mission Viejo, Laguna Niguel, Ladera Ranch, San Juan Capistrano, Aliso Viejo, Laguna Woods, Laguna Beach, Lake Forest, Rancho Santa Margarita, Irvine, and Costa Mesa.
Our services are available 24/7, 365 days a year. Give us a call at 760-429-0729.